Friday, March 9, 2012

The Dating Triangle

A friend of mine recently announced that there were no decent women in Sydney.

"What are you talking about?" I scoffed. "There's a Man Drought."

"It's not a shortage of women," he clarified, "it's a shortage of decent women."

And what is a decent woman I hear you ask? Turns out there's an equilateral triangle for that.
I've written before about the Fatal Flaw--that thing the perfect guy has or does that's a deal-breaker-- but this puts it into pictorial perspective.

"I've come to the realisation that you can't have it all in a relationship," she a girlfriend who recently started dating her swimming instructor. "Why do we expect one person to give us everything? My guy might not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but he's nice and he's really hot." I guess that's why we call him Hot Pool Guy.

She might be on to something.

Matt over at The Modern Savage actually ran a survey to see what people thought, and the findings are possibly unsurprising:

Men would overwhelmingly sacrifice intelligence in a woman, while women are happy to settle for intelligence and emotional stability, and give up the good looks.

So ugly guys and dumb girls are in with a chance, but if you're batshit crazy, then you're going to die alone.

Having thought about this from every conceivable 45 degree angle, it's hard for me to choose which quality I'd give up. But I think, if I absolutely had to, I would sacrifice the intelligence. It's no good if he can read me Dostoyevsky if I never, ever want to him naked.  If it's an intellectual challenge or witty repartee I'm in need of, I have work and friends. No, when it comes to stimulation in relationships, it's not the mental kind I'm looking for first.

How about you? What would you give up?


5 comments:

  1. No question- good looks. To me, it's never really been about instant attraction with a guy. I of course notice whether a guy is a fox or not, but whether he gets in my pants or not comes down to how we connect in conversation.

    I need a guy to be funny, witty, up with current affairs, interested in learning more about the world- and me. If he has those qualities, he'll be far more attractive to me than a chiselled jaw or washboard stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am afraid my subconscious and utter reluctance to give one of the three up is why I am single and complaining about the lack of decent women..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog. I find witty and hilarious. As for looks I believe there needs to be something behind it. A pretty face is just a pretty face but at the end of the day it is the girl behind it that counts. I must admit that I do love love beautiful girls but everyone knows that stupid ain't sexy. If a girl cannot hold an intelligent conversation it's time to move on. No sense in settling for less. Why not just have it all? Dating is frustrating at best and admittingly it sucks but we can always hope to find our counterpoint in that special someone. I think that is what we all tend to strive for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually do not drop a bunch of remarks, however
    after reading some of the comments here "The Dating Triangle".
    I do have a couple of questions for you if it's allright. Is it just me or does it appear like a few of the remarks appear like they are left by brain dead people? :-P And, if you are writing on other online sites, I'd like
    to keep up with everything new you have to
    post. Could you make a list of all of your public pages like your Facebook page,
    twitter feed, or linkedin profile?
    http://www.delicious.com/randamauricio/yacht-charter
    Also see my site :: floatfigure

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent website you have here, so much cool information!..
    best dating site

    ReplyDelete